19 Ways to Practice Humility
My mom at the time was working her way through nursing school and was exhausted because she had worked several consecutive shifts.
This wasn’t a family vacation, those were over after my parents split-up.
This was just a mom providing her youngest, 10-year-old, son a weekend with a friend at the beach. I think that was an example of humility, I’m not sure, I do know what she did was the opposite of pride.
It was about finding a way. Isn’t it amazing why some memories stick.
Humility is interesting because it is not revered, nor cherished. It is mistaken for weakness, because who wants to admit that they are not the center of their own world?
However, Humility is a big brother to patience.
In order to exercise our humility and patience (both mental skills), they require being intentional because they don’t come naturally to many of us.
Here are 19 ways to practice humility as a pathway to Mental Toughness.
- It’s not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.
- Being of service to others…
- When we are wrong, we promptly admit it.
- Not caring about who really gets the credit…
- Doing the next right thing…
- Means living without extremes…. Moderation
- Humility is intended for a good person who wants to get better.
- It means asking GOD to direct my thinking.
- A form of spiritual fitness.
- Asking GOD for help and getting the reply “ask me again tomorrow.”
- Asking who else can I pray for?
- A perpetual quietness of the heart…
- Going to God…
- Asking, not telling…
- A conscious effort to NOT think about myself. (or else I will think of myself)
- NOT having to one-up people…
- Rooting for everyone!
- Gratitude is the best way.
Paul Tesori, caddy to Webb Simpson told me one of his killer techniques to practice humility.
When someone congratulates him or pats him on the back for a job well done he actually visualizes laying a rose at the feet of his savior. It’s one way he practices humility. His faith is rooted in giving God the glory in all things.
Dr. Rob Bell is a Sport Psychology Coach. His company DRB & associates coach executives and professional athletes and is based in Indianapolis. Some clients have included three winners on the PGA Tour, Indy Eleven, University of Notre Dame, Marriott, and Walgreens.
Please Check out all the books and the mental toughness podcast - 15 Minutes of Mental Toughness as we interview expert athletes and coaches about Mental Strength and their Hinge Moment. New blog posts are published weekly.
Some of the links on this page are affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you decide to buy a product or service I have recommended.