5 Practical Tips to Be The Best Assistant Coach Possible
- Information- Convey knowledge, not just problems to your head coach. Or bring solutions to the problems. Being the best assistant means to support the head coach in all decisions and personnel. This is not easy, It requires a high-level of communication.
- Resume- Your current role is the optimal application for your next position. Treat it as the premier job that you’ve ever had to be the best assistant coach.
- Loyalty- Faithfulness is not a gray issue. You must adapt to the head position and support the decisions. Of course communication is key, but the buck stops with the boss.
- Initiative- Make your boss’ job easier. Talk about all stressful situations in non-stressful environments.
- Family- Do not neglect the most important relationships, which are inside of your home. They sacrifice for you, so communication is key. That is paramount to be the best assistant possible.
5 Practical Tips
Dr. Rob Bell is a Sport Psychology Coach. His company DRB & associates coach executives and professional athletes and is based in Indianapolis. Some clients have included three winners on the PGA Tour, Indy Eleven, University of Notre Dame, Marriott, and Walgreens.
Please Check out all the books and the mental toughness podcast - 15 Minutes of Mental Toughness as we interview expert athletes and coaches about Mental Strength and their Hinge Moment. New blog posts are published weekly.