(INFOGRAPHIC) 8 Deadly Ways to Build Persistence
Every morning, I tweet out the same phrase:
Patience & Persistence…
It’s a mantra.
A belief system.
Perseverance, Mental Toughness, and Grit are all muscles. Every muscle can be built and trained. Thus, we all can build persistence and we can increase our patience.
The ways we build persistence is just like building creativity, speed, and strength. You increase the perseverance muscle by exercising the very traits detailed within this infographic.
The simple reason why this title has “deadly” in it, is that in order to increase persistence, we must fail, fail, and fail some more. It becomes PUKE & RALLY!
Losing and failure sure feel deadly, but just remember failure is NOT fatal. These are the ways to build persistence!
Thanks for sharing this post about mental toughness and hope you’ll check out our other posts like this one... What happens when you prove yourself right?
- Fail – Mental Toughness is caught more than it is taught. How can you really build perseverance if you’ve never failed?
- Focus – Each day, you can have one or two major goals or accomplishments to achieve, everything else is a distraction.
- Patience – I can’t wait to be patient is my next book. It’s a virtue.
- Develop a Routine – An A.M. routine is powerful. The first hour of the day sets the rudder for the rest. My morning consists of running and writing. These are the ways to build persistence.
- Time Off – What do we do when our computer has a glitch? That’s right, reboot. We are the same way, plan to have deliberate breaks and time-off to re-charge. If you don’t take scheduled breaks then you’ll have un-scheduled time off.
- Make it a Priority – Mental Toughness doesn’t just happen. It has to be the main priority for that day. If you make it a priority, then it can done, because it’s inside of your control.
- Focus on the process – A focus on winning doesn’t lead to winning, a focus on the process does. Besides, the process is more important than the product.
Dr. Rob Bell is a Sport Psychology Coach. His company DRB & associates coach executives and professional athletes and is based in Indianapolis. Some clients have included three winners on the PGA Tour, Indy Eleven, University of Notre Dame, Marriott, and Walgreens.
Please Check out all the books and the mental toughness podcast - 15 Minutes of Mental Toughness as we interview expert athletes and coaches about Mental Strength and their Hinge Moment. New blog posts are published weekly.