7 Ways To Build Grit
It’s honest, not only because these are truthful, but because the truth often hurts! For example, when someone asks you “do you ‘really’ want to know what I think?” Is that an honest request, or is it an ask for positive feedback, even if it was awful?
The truth hurts because we can ALWAYS get better or go faster, or go farther.
If seven is a bit too much of a task to tackle, then check out our popular post on just ONE of the 7 ways to build grit.
1. Step Into the Next- The best in history, in any field, were able to recreate themselves and always focused on the process rather than the product. What shapes your priorities is how you answer the question.
3. The Daily Disciplines- Adam Kerley was a guest on our podcast 15 Minutes of Mental Toughness and he spoke at length about the common shared characteristic amongst the best athletes… he said “The Daily Disciplines!” It’s an important singular tool as we build the 7 ways to build grit.
4. Rid The Media- The mental game is much more about subtraction than it is addition… It is frankly often about removing the things or people in our lives that simply do not propel us forward.
5. Marinate Your Mind- I’ve written often about the importance of soaking our mind inside of positivity, present focus, and confidence! Learn from others and how they did it grants us our own self belief.
6. Puke & Rally – It’s not about the setback, it’s about the comeback! This is the honesty part that not many want to share with you when we discuss 7 ways to build grit. Your own journey will be harder than you think, but remember your harder (tougher) than you think as well! Puking is not fun, but it is necessary!
7. Rest- A good line of thinking when it comes to training, preparing, and recovery is the following: It’s not about over-training as it is about under-recovering.
Dr. Rob Bell is a Sport Psychology Coach. His company DRB & associates coach executives and professional athletes and is based in Indianapolis. Some clients have included three winners on the PGA Tour, Indy Eleven, University of Notre Dame, Marriott, and Walgreens.
Please Check out all the books and the mental toughness podcast - 15 Minutes of Mental Toughness as we interview expert athletes and coaches about Mental Strength and their Hinge Moment. New blog posts are published weekly.